This class is geared toward those who want to develop their palate and understand what we mean when we say things like “flavor profile” or “coffee defects”.
By using specific sensory evaluation techniques, participants learn the way we perceive what we taste and how to apply this knowledge when evaluating coffee’s natural characteristics. It also offers an insight into identifying speciality coffee qualities, as well as an overview of how to implement this in business.
ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION
This module teaches you the essentials of sensory evaluation in a practical and interactive manner.
It explains how to identify potential defects and taints in coffee as well as pleasant flavours and their quality.
The course follows the Coffee Skills Program SCA modules. The examination can be taken at the end of the class and paid on site at the Coffee Studio. “Introduction to Coffee” is a recommended (but not mandatory) pre-requisite module.
- Basic flavors: threshold of perception and its interaction on coffee.
- Training of the palate in basic flavours.
- Le Nez du Café: Test of identification of coffee aromas.
- The coffee cupping method to evaluate the aroma and taste characteristics of a sample of coffee beans.
DURATION: 8 hours
TRAINER: Chiara Bergonzi
NR. PARTECIPANTS: Max. 6
QUALIFICATION: 5 points towards Coffee Skills Program SCA
November, 20, 2020
Course aimed at those who want to obtain high-level specialist technical knowledge in coffee tasting.
With the “Sensory Intermediate” course, the general notions of tasting are overcome to make way for the in-depth analysis of the most important details such as the recognition in tasting of positive aromas and defects with the support of the SCA tasting wheel, tastes, and body of coffee tested. Fundamental parameters for the objective evaluation of the tasting.
Course valid for the Sensory Intermediate certification of the Coffee Skills Program SCA. The exam can be taken at the end of the course. The “Introduction to Coffee” and “Sensory Foundation” modules are recommended prerequisites (but not mandatory).
- How the tasting works: perception and interpretation.
- Identification of the intensity of tastes by calibration with the tasting of solutions of known concentration.
- Descriptive analysis of the tasting.
- Detection of defects in coffee.
- Quality and intensity detection of the perceived characteristics in the cup.
- Cupping protocol.
- Analysis of the tasting results.
- Working application of acquired knowledge.
DURATION: 16 hours
TRAINER: Chiara Bergonzi
NR. PARTECIPANTS: Max. 4
QUALIFICATION: 10 points towards Coffee Skills Program SCA