INTRODUCTION TO COFFEE
Designed to introduce the novice to the world of specialty coffee, this course offers basic knowledge for a better understanding of this magical beverage, from the plant to the cup. Participants will learn how all the links in the chain fit together from farming, processing, grading, shipping, roasting, and brewing and they will become able to prepare excellent quality espressos and cappuccinos as well as evaluate the different blends, roasting profiles and brewing methods.
The course follows the Coffee Skills Program SCA modules. The examination can be taken at the end of the class and paid on site at the Coffee Studio.
- History and origin of coffee.
- Botany and plant knowledge. Difference between Robusta and Arabica beans.
- The journey from seed to cup.
- What is speciality coffee.
- Picking and stripping. Natural and washed method.
- Roasting and blending. How do I create a coffee blend?
- Different methods of brewing.
- The preparation of the espresso, grinding and pressing coffee.
- Proper milk steaming techniques.
DURATION: 8 hours
TRAINER: Chiara Bergonzi
NR. PARTECIPANTS: Max. 6
QUALIFICATION: 10 points towards Coffee Skills Program SCA
25 February, 2021